Saturday, October 3, 2009

2nd blog post today - RickoLus!

Some of the best shoots are the ones that preparation is in vain. I stepped into this shoot not knowing what to expect...but only to capture Rick being Rick...or RickoLus...I am RickoLus. I stepped into a shed that's been converted into a recording studio...don't laugh...some very good vibes have come out of the Green Shed Studio. I ask Hubbard, "How's the lighting? (Hubbard was a classmate of mine...now a friend...)...Hubbard replies, "Not good after we shut the door." Door is closed...3 men now stand in between instruments and things...and in some darkness...with a fan running...and a 3 headed office light...or living room light...without lamp shades. I take a shot...and I think, "Damn, the lighting is good in here...that make shift light makes for some mean shadows..." Perhaps Hubbard, having knowledge of lighting techniques (because he makes movies), subconsciously placed the lights there for that wicked effect.

They start their practice session...RickoLus on guitar...Hubbard on drums...Hubbard keeps the rhythm with some be-bopping combinations that hold down Rick's alternative/folk style...and yet make a hip-hop album golden. Rick plays guitar...and sings...sings...uh...you'd have to listen to understand...it's not normal...but it's good. He sings about life...his life...but you understand, because you lived it too...

Now my session starts...not much room here...be careful...don't jack-up rehearsal by knocking one of Hubbard's snares...or Rick's guitar leaning on barely nothing...

I shoot...inch here and there...shoot...switch camera's...shoot...listen...my brain bobbing because I'm here to shoot...not dance...but I want to...

Several songs go by...some chatter in between songs about changes...Rick's got to get back home to give wife relief...rather, watch his daughter b/c wife has to get to work...but before he leaves...we venture outside the shed...I mean the studio. He sits down...gets some rolling paper (come on now...would I write about that on my blog)...he packs the paper with tobacco...Rick likes to smoke cigarettes the old school way...Hubbard smokes them out of a package. Rick's contraption rolls his cigarette...and then he pulls out a note book...he jots some notes and discusses a few things with Hubbard...writes...smokes...write...and then he's out...

Hubbard and I, instead, have a couple of beers at E. Street...here's a few images from our shoot...enjoy!


Post Processing the music...

Things you find in the Green Shed Studio...

3 comments:

  1. good job, great shot. I like it ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like the "casuality" of the shots...i also like the lomo photo look of the last pic..it's gonna look cute on photo throwswith color and the musical instruments..love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some years ago… maybe 6 years even… I booked a company by the name or “Smorty” to help me with my website (visionbedding.com) search engine rankings. They did this by hiring bloggers like you, to write articles about my site.

    All went well for some time… till Google decided this practice was bad, and my site got hit with a bad links penalty.

    I would be most grateful if you could either remove the link from your site to
    mine which appears here ( http://freewisefotography.blogspot.ro/2009/10/2nd-blog-post-today-rickolus.html ) or at the very least, make it a rel=”nofollow” link which will let Google know it’s a sponsored link.

    Either way, if you could let me know the outcome that would be super.

    Thanks in advance
    Justin Poile
    VisionBedding.com

    ReplyDelete