Thursday, October 1, 2009

Simplicity...

Here's a little insight...a little voyage into my thoughts about photography...it might interest other photographers...or make them want to throw something at my head next time they see me...and this is also a little insight for past, potential, and current clients - you get to see how I approach wedding photography.

Here's 5 shots from my favorite assistant - Jerome. Observe the simplicity of these shots...that's because Jerome is a good listener.

Jerome knows...I like simple. A few photographers out there like to do some funky stuff...they take a shot with a little tilt in it (this is called Dutch Angle in video/film)...you know...that shot where you have to tilt your head sideways to see it right (I'm guilty...I used to do it often...)...some use some really cool lenses that distort ____ out of everything...and some do some really cool work in photoshop beyond anything believable...fantasy couldn't even have conceived...and that's all cool...some people like that...and there's nothing wrong with that...but I like simple...that's my opinion...

As wedding photographers, I feel we're photojournalists...we're documentarians...photographic historians...and our job is to record the day as it happens...and sometimes when we use all this neat trickery in our shots, we take away from the moment. Our eyes, our minds focus on the tilt..or they focus on those radical colors...and unfortunately we lose the purpose of the shot.

Here's some simplicity...nothing fancy....

Scott getting ready...pensive...

Scott re-writing his vows off of his computer onto an index card...


Nothing fancy...just telling a story...without distraction...

4 comments:

  1. Ezra... you got me in serious trouble with Angel. She read your blogs and figured out I assisted you at the wedding when I should of been home studying (like I told her i was).. And she was mad.. Not because I assisted you.. but because I didn't tell her the truth. So, I guess it's really my fault. I should have just told her the truth. Anyways, hopefully she reads this and know how sorry I am for not being completely honest. So, Angel, if you're readying this... I really am sorry...

    Ezra, thanks for the kind words. If my pictures look good, it's because I have good mentors. See you bright and early on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry...she's too savvy...well, Angel, if it means anything, Jerome only assisted for a couple of hours...

    See you Saturday morning, Jerome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've come a long way since the days of that little security office incident......you little terror suspect! I bet you really miss intakes.

    MJ

    ReplyDelete