Thursday, May 7, 2009

Tidbits #5 & Naomi Williams...

The Tidbits return...after a two week break.

High school was awful for me...b/c I really hated the hours. I had to get up so early...and then after basketball practice, I was pulling 10-12 hour days. But I managed. Basketball was a big part of high school. It made me some good friends, but we lost a lot..almost everytime...for 3 years! I learned how to lose gracefully...it wasn't easy at first, but it was necessary...we just weren't good!

I was a "hip-hop head."  There was a few of us who really were loyal to hip-hop...a music that we never thought would ever get air time! We dressed the dress...yes, kiddos, I was sagging over 15 years ago...we started the trend...and we talked the talk! I had a pair of shell top Adidas...we wore sweaters with hoodies to look cool, even though it was like 85 degrees outside!

Through all of this, I managed to maintain a 3.3 GPA...and scored high enough on my SATs to get accepted into a few colleges...Northeastern (Boston), Wingate, Winthrop, USF, New Berry College, and Valparaiso University. I choose Valpo...b/c they gave me the most financial aid...and b/c it was far from home...and close to Chicago...where I was born and where my father lives...and where it would be cold enough to wear sweaters with hoodies and not bake!

College was awesome! But moving away had certain repercussions...I lost contact with some of my old friends, including my best friend, Sam. More on my college experience next post.

In the meantime readers, please visit www.fornaomi.com.
Naomi Williams is an awesome photographer that I look up to. I met with her two months ago while meeting with her about 2nd shooting for her. She has such an awesome spirit! So, please visit the site and help out. Naomi was recently diagnosed with cancer (it's still unconfirmed, which is just a technical term the doctors are using right now). Regardless, she has started her chemo treatment and really needs our help. Please visit that site...and help!


No comments:

Post a Comment